Welcome to the Building and Safety Department
The Building & Safety Division of the Public Works Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the California Building Codes and related Federal, State, and City adopted laws and ordinances. This responsibility includes compliance with state mandates assuring all structures meet or exceed the minimum life safety standards of codes, laws, and ordinances. The Building Division assures these standards are met by providing organized procedures for reviewing and approving plans and specifications, issuing permits, and providing building inspections.
Building inspections are made during the construction phase of development by the City's Building Inspectors. Periodic site visits are made to ensure that projects are proceeding consistent with approved plans. To schedule a building inspection, please contact Tiffany Carter, Administrative Secretary from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM at (760) 373-7152. The Building Department will be CLOSED alternate Fridays starting August 18, 2017. Building Department Schedule
Before building construction can occur, plans must be prepared and submitted to the Planning Department to be reviewed for compliance with zoning regulations.
Do I Need A Permit?
Exempt- No building permit required (for Residential only). All work in commercial locations requires a building permit.
- Cosmetic work, e.g. carpeting, painting, trim, and wall covering
- One story detached accessory buildings not on a permanent foundation such as a shed not exceeding 120 square feet
- Platforms, walkways, and driveways no more than 30 inches above ground, 10 feet from the curb face and not over a basement or story below
- Window awning project no more than 54 inches
Over the counter- Same day processing
- Any electrical, plumbing and mechanical upgrades or repairs
- Re-roofing (both overlay and tear-off)
- Fireplace installation
- Portable spas
- Encroachment Permits (City sidewalks, driveways approaches, curbs, and gutters)
Fast Track- 5-10 working days
- Garages, storage buildings, decks, carports, patio covers
- Additions to single family dwellings
- Minor structural repair
- Foundation replacement/repair
- Single family dwelling of conventional light frame construction
- Residential Swimming pools and spas
Normal Processing- Depending on size of project (approximately 4 weeks)
- Major alterations, additions, and structural upgrading
- Second story additions
- Projects that require planning review and approval (i.e. setbacks, heights, and land use)
*Please contact us if you are unsure if your project requires a permit.
Joe Barragan: Senior Building Official
BUILDING DEPARTMENTS HOURS
Hours: Monday - Thursday 8:00AM - 5:45PM
(BUILDING DEPT CLOSED ON ALTERNATE FRIDAYS)
Inspections Monday to Thursday 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm